Does your child need Early Intervention? The milestones listed here are intended to help you determine if your child needs assistance.
By 12 months, your child should…
* understand 2-4 familiar words
* use gestures spontaneously
* babble with a variety of consonants and attempt words
* initiate social games such as peek-a-boo
* anticipate an event
By 24 months, your child should…
* Use at least 50 words with some word combinations
* follow simple directions and point to body parts
* combine two short actions in pretend play
* have speech that a listener understands 50% of the time
* creatively initiate solutions to simple problems
By 36 months, your child should…
* communicate in sentences (stuttering is to be expected)
* have speech that a listener understands 75% of the time
* follow 2-3 step directions
* understand basic concepts such as colors and spatial concepts
* add dialogue to characters in pretend play
At Playworks Speech Therapy, we offer evaluations and ongoing therapy in a natural setting. Since a parent is the most important language teacher for the young child, therapy is typically done with the parent present. Parent training and strategies for carry-over of new skills are provided on a weekly basis.
We welcome the opportunity to speak with you further.
For a free phone consultation, please call (703) 243-4600.